[development] 115,000 records -- nodes or custom

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Mar 8 18:05:23 UTC 2012

I run a Drupal 5 site with just under a half million nodes on a single
$50 VPS.  As long as you don't run any stupid queries, you're fine.

That said, you can integrate Views to any arbitrary SQL table.  You just
need to write the views_data hook for it.  There is, or was at least, a
module to help automate that process.

The deciding factor for node-or-not is not the volume of data, but how
it will be maintained.  Do you want each of those records to have its
own view page, edit page, workflow, etc. within Drupal?  Make 'em a
node.  Is it legacy read only data that will never be updated by a
human?  Probably not worth the effort to make them nodes.

--Larry Garfield