[development] How to change user profile entries

John Summerfield summer at js.id.au
Sun May 20 09:44:16 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 20:26, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Todd Bloom<todd.bloom at me.com>  wrote:
>> Honestly, I don't get why there's a fuss about it. How much volume does this list get specifically dedicated to core development, any way?
>>

> Did I say "core" development?  No, I did not, we've succumbed to the
> fact that core developers no longer visit this list.  We have agreed
> that this list is to be used by module developers for questions about
> module development issues.  The OP did not speak about development in
> any way but instead about use.

I don't know enough about Drupal to judge that, but I note that a part
of the response was, "as well as a custom module using hook_form_alter
or hook_form_FORM_ID_alter," and that suggests to me that the
development list isn't entirely a bad choice.

>> It's not like it's a high volume list. It's not like it's a big deal to answer questions that someone might have even though it's not specifically related to core development.
>>

> The support list isn't "high volume" either.  But that isn't the
> issue.  The issue is a segregation for archive purposes.  If we just
> willy-nilly use the list without dedicated purpose what's the point of
> having a list named development versus one named support?  How will a
> user seeking information know he can depend on a list named
> development to discuss development issues?  We self-police the list so
> that we can have distinction in the purpose of the list for the
> benefit of those seeking information.

First, I agree that the separation is important. If I think I'll be
writing code, this list would be my first choice, and I fully understand
that people who are prepared to answer questions about development
aren't necessarily anxious to answer support questions.

And I am sure there are lots of people well able to answer support
questions haven't the skills to answer questions regarding coding.

However, I don't see the distinction regarding archiving is valid. I,
for one, use search engines extensively, and it makes not one jot of
difference to me which list or forum my answers come from or even which
site. What matters is that the answer can be found with the search terms
I use.