[development] How to change user profile entries

John Summerfield summer at js.id.au
Sun May 20 10:03:33 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 22:58, Scott Reynen wrote:
> On 5/10/12 6:26 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> We self-police the list so
>> that we can have distinction in the purpose of the list for the
>> benefit of those seeking information.
>
> While that's a great goal, is the approach of telling people they're on
> the wrong list actually working? Doesn't look like it. This blog post
> seems relevant:
>
> http://www.marco.org/2012/02/25/right-vs-pragmatic

I like it!

However, I think that people will move to the "correct" list when they
understand why it serves their interest better to do so.

I am not well-known in Drupal, and probably never will be, but I have
been helping people in much the same way people here do from the late
1990s with OS/2 and later with various releases of RHL, Fedora and CentOS.

Mostly, I either ignored misplaced questions, or tried to give a fairly
decent answer (or asked a few questions to get better information), and
made the argument for asking their question on the "correct list."

To my mind, Paolo and Jamie are completely off the mark. You can, and
maybe should, regard these lists as a little like face-to-face meetings.
The most important topics at any formal meetings go to conducting the
meeting (procedural motions); when the process is determined then the
meeting goes on with the real business (substantive motions). Discussing
the conduct of this list elsewhere, especially an IRC channel,
disenfranchises many of those with an interest in the discussion and
outcome.