[development] Presentation recording best practices

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed May 1 15:12:02 UTC 2013

Ignoring the who didn't intend to offend whom part of this thread...
Also, retitling.

For the past several years, DrupalCon and a few other conferences I've
been at don't have a videographer with a camera.  They record the live
output from the presenter's laptop on its way to the screen, give the
presenter a microphone, and then just join the audio/video in recording.
  There's no one pointing a camera anywhere, it's just straight up
recording of whatever comes out of the VGA port.  That is, largely, for
the sake of simplicity and cost.  It's very simple and straightforward
to do, and in recent years we've refined that process to the point that
videos are often online same-day (where some other conferences may take
months to get videos online).

Some conferences do have a dedicated cameraman, or sometimes two (one
for the screen, one for the presenter).  I don't know what the
additional cost/complexity is there, but it would no doubt take us a few
tries to get right; definitely that's something that would need to be
practiced at Camps first to work out the kinks.  If you know a
DrupalCamp organizer, I would very much encourage you to try and get
them to experiment with such techniques.

As far as video quality/resolution, I have no inside knowledge there.  I
don't know what goes on inside the magic video compiling machine. :-)

I absolutely agree that presenters should practice, and the good ones
do.  However, the idea of effectively lip-synching a presentation I find
quite repellant.  I want to be able to read the audience, vary my
presentation based on feedback, answer a question part way through if
needed, use different jokes depending on which conference I'm at, etc.
If I'm strictly following a script, I can't do that.  And I'd probably
just distract myself with words in my ear and get confused and lost
anyway. :-)

--Larry Garfield