[development] Theme system

Chris Miller cjm at tryx.org
Thu Oct 10 16:49:58 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

I am still trying to understand sub-themeing. I have four themes installed and two enabled. Bartik(enabled), Seven(enabled), Garland, Stark. I tried a minimal, trivial sub-theme of Bartik by creating a subdirectory /sites/all/themes/bartik-cjm populated as follows:

bartik-cjm/
bartik-cjm.info
css/
local.css

bartik-cjm.info:

name = Bartik-cjm
base theme = Bartik

core = 7.x

stylesheets[all][] = css/local.css

According to everything I've read, and it has been a increasing amount, this should be sufficient to create a sub-theme named "Bartik-cjm" which inherits everything from Bartik and overrides local.css with my copy. I believe I should see this as one of the options in admin/appearance, and I don't. I can see that $data[system_list][theme] is populated from the MySQL database (select * from cache_bootstrap where cid = "system_list";), which only has my original four themes in the serialized object.

So, either the database must be updated somewhere, somehow, by someone, -- OR -- Drupal must look at the filesystem and realize that there is more to the story than the database knows and extend the list. So, how does Drupal become aware of the custom sub-theme?
--
Chris.