On 6/9/07, <b class="gmail_sendername">Konstantin Käfer</b> <<a href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org</a>> wrote:<div><span class="gmail_quote"></span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
<br>On 07.06.2007, at 04:15, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:<br><br>> So, +1 on this initiative. What is the worst case? Come February<br>> and we see that things have not moved. We evaluate it them and see<br>> what other projects did, and decide either to stay the course, or go
<br>> back to PHP4.<br><br>I think this is a bad idea. If we go into this process with this<br>attitude, we won't honestly try to get providers to PHP 5 because<br>there is no need to for them – they will know that software projects
<br>won't move to 5 when the majority of providers still run 4. When we<br>really make Drupal (and all the other projects) PHP 5 only starting<br>from this date, providers won't have a choice but to upgrade.<br></blockquote>
</div><br>We don't need to publicize that there is a possibility that we can go <br>back in our decision.<br><br>This is a reality check that leaves a fallback option open. If February<br>comes and nothing changed as far as distros and hosting companies
<br>are concerned. What are we going to do then? Just keep forging ahead <br>as if PHP4 does not exist, and corner ourselves?<br clear="all"><br>We can say that we reevaluate this in February and that is it. We don't<br>
need to make any decisions now (apart from pushing hard for hosts<br>and distros to go PHP5).<br>-- <br><a href="http://2bits.com">2bits.com</a><br><a href="http://2bits.com">http://2bits.com</a><br>Drupal development, customization and consulting.