[drupal-docs] Regarding the drupal help documentation

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Tue May 10 21:38:55 UTC 2005

> On 10 May 2005, at 18:34, Dan Robinson wrote:
>
>> I didn't understand how to make the text any less complete than it is
>> and still have it be useful.  I got a perfectly reasonable response from
>> Kieran this morning - to the effect that it is too long - not
>> surprising, here's my (longwinded) response:
>

> My usability book "Don't make me think", written by usability expert
> Steve Krug has this to say about writing for the web:
>
>    "Instructions must die.  The main thing you need to know about
> instructions is that no one is going to read them -- at least not
> until after repeated attempts at /muddling through/ have failed.  And
> even then, if the instructions are wordy, the odds of users finding
> the information they need is pretty low.  Your objective should always
> be to eliminate instructions entirely by making everything
> self-explanatory, or as close to it as possible.  When instructions
> are necessary, cut them back to a bare minimum."

ok - so what are we saying here? That the code as is is self-explanatory
and indeed needs no documentation?  I have looked through everything I
have been pointed at and still have yet to see a clear description of
who the reader is and what the goals and objectives of this exercise
is.  Here is the original documentation from admin/help/block -

===============================

Blocks are the boxes visible in the sidebar(s) of your web site. These
are usually generated automatically by modules (e.g. recent forum
topics), but you can also create your own blocks.

The sidebar each block appears in depends on both which theme you are
using (some are left-only, some right, some both), and on the settings
in block management.

The block management screen lets you specify the vertical sort-order of
the blocks within a sidebar. You do this by assigning a weight to each
block. Lighter blocks (smaller weight) "float up" towards the top of the
sidebar. Heavier ones "sink down" towards the bottom of it.

A block's visibility depends on:

    * Its enabled checkbox. Disabled blocks are never shown.
    * Its throttle checkbox. Throttled blocks are hidden during high
      server loads.
    * Its path options. Blocks can be configured to only show/hide on
      certain pages
    * . User settings. You can choose to let your users decide whether
      to show/hide certain blocks.
    * Its function. Dynamic blocks (such as those defined by modules)
      may be empty on certain pages and will not be shown.

      Administrator defined blocks

An administrator defined block contains content supplied by you (as
opposed to being generated automatically by a module). Each
admin-defined block consists of a title, a description, and a body which
can be as long as you wish. The Drupal engine will render the content of
the block.

=============================

So maybe someone could tell me what is wrong with this help text?
Anyway - I am genuinely trying to help (sorry this is getting so
difficult) but I don't want to march off and produce a bunch of
documentation that won't get used.  I would much rather be writing doco
than these emails.  (does anyone think what I wrote would be useful in
the documentation proper? - If so perhaps the answer to this riddle is
that Dan should be writing the longer text and leave the short text to
the professionals?).

Collegially,

Dan