[drupal-docs] Drupal documentation coordinator

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Wed May 11 15:53:33 UTC 2005

I, too, would like to add my name to the list of good candidates already
  applying to be documenation coordinator. For those of you who don't
know me, I'm a writing teacher, finishing up a PhD in rhetoric and
composition studies with a specialization in electronic communication
and intellectual property. And even though I don't code, I administer
somewhere around 40 to 50 Drupal sites. I've also been teaching with
Drupal for a few years now and run workshops on using Drupal for
teachers. Administering Drupal sites, working with teachers and
students, and offering some basic entry level support on the Drupal
forums has given me a good understanding of what our target audience is
like for the non-developer documentation. Believe me, I think I've heard
almost every question imaginable :-) I've also been working with Drupal
documentation for a couple of years now in various ways:

* During the summer and fall of 2003, I revised a few of the pages in
the "Drupal modules and features" section and wrote the "About Drupal page."

* I wrote about 80% of the CivicSpace Configuration Guide:
http://test2.cyberdash.net/?q=node/2.

* For the past year, I've been teaching technical writing classes in
which students have been learning to write documentation about Drupal.
Here's an example of some of their documentation work from last fall:
http://osddp.org/files/issues/drupal_end_user_manual.pdf. (this project
was a great learning experience for the students and turned out
particularly well given that they were mostly science and engineering
majors with no experience with Drupal prior to that semester).

As the documentation coordinator, here are some things I'd like to see:

* Developing more documentation for the documentation group like the
handbook structure (http://dev.bryght.com/t/wiki/HandbookVersionTwo) and
the new style guide, documents to include a simple roadmap of short and
long term goals, a workflow outline, and better instructions on writing
documentation (beyond that of the style guide). This would enable us to
produce better documentation, make it easier for others to join in, and
keep us on track.

* In codifying the workflow process and other documentation, simplify
the process as much as possible. The more simple things are, the easier
it will be for us to accomplish our goals.

* Do a documentation sprint every time there is a Drupal code freeze to
update existing documentation to the new Drupal version.

* After the current initiative to revise the handbook is finished, work
toward creating documentation with screen captures. I'll also be getting
a version of Macromedia Captivate, so I'd like to personally start
developing some Flash-based tutorials this fall. This sort of video
documentation is very helpful to newbies.

Charlie Lowe