[drupal-docs] Idea - move help text out of code into database

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Fri May 13 08:54:17 UTC 2005

puregin wrote:
> On 12 May 2005, at 11:34 PM, Charlie Lowe wrote:
>

>>I think whether or not the documentation is hardcoded or not is up to
>>the development team. What we need to do is facilitates the process by
>>which we can hand off to them the documentation that they need.
>>They can then decide whether to handcode it or not.
>

>       I disagree that it's a development-team-only issue.

I think we disagree less than you think :)

My point is that development has to decide what they want in terms of
admin/help documentation in terms of text. I'm not a coder. It's too
hard for me to read the documentation in the source code; it's too hard
to write.  In fact, it's the wrong way for anyone to be writing
documentation, IMHO. Almost anyone who finds it just as easy to write
documentation embedded in php instead of in plain text is probably going
to produce some pretty geekified documentation. LOL

A couple of years ago, I began rewriting quite a bit of the modules and
features section. However, the process for submitting it was a mess from
a non-coder's standpoint. Some of it was pulled directly from the
admin/help php files, which meant submitting revisions into the handbook
involved getting it coded. That wasn't something I could do. Other
sections of the handbook were in the handbook, but that meant getting
them into the admin/help encoded once again. Plus, the only review
process was just to post the revision and wait for moderation. No
process in place for submitting a revision for feedback. Unlike code in
Drupal, documentation goes through very little discussion even when the
author is looking for discussion.

There a push since then (maybe a year ago?) to revise the admin/help.
But it was done in code. The diff files that were offered for
documentation review were not something I could read and work with every
easily.

So I had pretty much given up, and hoped that we would see more progress
  now that there are more people interested and involved. But right now,
I see the handbook development process still having lots of problems. We
have multiple potential versions going--handbook, handbook v2, and wiki.
We are doing document construction without documentation specs,
something extremely difficult to do in an open project like this because
it ends up being inconsistent. We have no clear review process in
place--and I don't mean formal. If a documentation team member has
developed a revision for the handbook that they feel is ready to post,
an improvement on existing documentation, I'm not thinking that there
needs to necessarily be a "formal" process. But what is the process for
submitting a revision for feedback? Seems like we have lots of choices
for the moment.

So, yes, I believe that the admin/help should be part of the handbook
documentation. And I believe we have a lot to work on in developing the
handbook. But let's create specs with the developers based on creating
the documentation in the handbook and leave integration into the
code---however they want to do it--up to the developers. And let's focus
on creating a simple, smooth process for documentation construction. It
can be a lot easier than this.

>      I think you mean Anisa's post of Mar 29, 2005
>
> http://lists.drupal.org/archives/drupal-docs/2005-03/msg00309.html
>
> Seems like a good idea to have such a standard template
> for help texts  and module documentation.

Thanks. And that's what I'm thinking of, only more refined and
developed. Clear documenation specs would make it much easier to write
good documentation. It makes it pretty formulaic that way.

But not even just help texts. Even some general notes on writing other
sections. Boris just posted about Marketing documents. Those, too, could
use some minor specs to assist others in developing them.