[drupal-docs] Round 2 of Documentation Sprint - Please advise on the admin help writing instructions

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sat May 14 00:30:12 UTC 2005

Hi,
        I have put together writing instructions: http://
dev.bryght.com/t/wiki/AdminHelpWritingInstructions

Here is a list of guidelines I have put together for writing admin
help.  I would be good to pause at this point and get some discussion
about writing instructions.  Most of the 60 admin help documents are
at least consistent now.   If we can agree on some writing
instructions then it will be much easier to make all the changes at
once.
Do not provide instructions to tell the user to log in or enable the
module. If the user is reading admin help then the module is enabled
and they have authenticated to have administration priviledges.
Admin help links should be context sensitive into the administration
interfaces, and therefore do not require instructions such as My
Account >> Administer >> module >> settings. Just provide the direct
link and label it appropriately. Those type of instructions are
better used in longer documentation that is not able to provide
context sensitive linking directly into a users own administration
interfaces.
The admin help documentation should be brief, ideally a couple of
paragraphs.
The admin help documentation should have a links section that is
easily scannable for users so they can quickly navigate to relevant
interfaces. Providing direct links improves usability by reducing
errors in accomplishing the task of administrating a module.
The admin help documentation should have links to the new
configuration and customization handbook module pages. Providing
links to more documentation improves usability through the use of the
technique of information hiding. By reducing the total amount of
information presented to the user it is possible to reduce the users
cognitive load and reduce their time on the task by facilitating them
to navigate more rapidly to meet their needs. Also, links to the
handbooks allows the Drupal documentation team the ability to improve
the documentation used by users continuosly. Alternatively, admin
help documentation requires an update to the code.
For consistency I have been starting the paragraphs with the "The
modulename module ...." -comments??
The first paragraph should provide a description of the benefits to a
newbie user, i.e. the Anita user persona.
The next paragraph(s) should provide a list of tasks that represent
the most common benefits.
If the module is a content type should we link to create content type
in the admin help text?  /node/add/type?
If the module requires access permissions to be set should we provide
a link to the access permissions page?
If the link points to documenation then the link should be named the
unique name of the page. The sentence pointing to the documentation
should begin with the active verb read. For example, Read the
configuration and customization handbook <a href = "" title = "module
page">module page</a>.
If the content module has a page that displays all content of that
type should we link to it?  i.e. /node/blog
Use the term post instead of node.
Cheers,
Kieran