[drupal-docs] Idea - move help text out of code into database

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Sat May 14 16:32:40 UTC 2005

 > People are
 > working within the current handbook structure to improve the content
 > and people are working in the new handbook structure to build new
 > content.  Either way that's progress.

I'm not sure it's that simple. One of the things that I think we should
consider is why we are rewriting. Restructuring is one thing, but if we
are revising the texts and changing the content, I think we should
remember that much of the Drupal handbook is the product of community
development and consideration of a target audience. I say this, because
I think we should avoid the assumption that anyone of us can just
rewrite a section and that it will be improved since we are one and
those the text that was created before was the product of many.

Now everyone's intent is definitely to improve the documentation. But
instead of going with the approach "let's rewrite it" and then discuss
it, it will likely be more productive to do some discussion up front of
things like

* target audience
* the ways in which the current text targets that audience
* the ways in which the current text could be improved in terms of
targeting the audience
* new goals for the revised version
* formatting/style/structure for the revised version (beyond that of the
style guide)

In some cases, it may be useful to provide an example rewrite for a
section, too. So for an example, let me pick on Kieran since I know he
has a thick skin and won't take offense ;) :

So with the admin/help rewrites, I would say that a better process would
have been to for Kieran to

* produce a sample or two of admin/help section
* in the process of creating that admin/help section, write a document
such as the one he just produced for "Round 2 of Documentation Sprint"
to include also some audience analysis of existing documentation and
proposed changes (if needed or intended)

If these are then offered up for discussion, as a group, we can offer
suggestions before all the documentation is in the process of rewriting,
making it easier to achieve improved documentation in the initial
rewrite. It also will assist in allowing others to jump in.

Charlie