[drupal-docs] Marketing subset of Team Documentation

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Sat May 14 16:50:11 UTC 2005

Boris Mann wrote:

> But I just wanted to point out that DIYers would not be the #1 target
> for me, at least not for the features part. Much like the documentation,
> the features section should focus on the power/flexibility/capabilities
> in a user neutral way. For instance, I would still like to see more
> developers and web designers choosing the platform. Especially
> designers/consultants who would deploy a lot of sites for clients -- I'd
> love to have another Development Seed participating in the Drupal ecosystem.

To achieve your goal of attracting more designers and consultants, it
might do good to consider a suggestion Dries made a couple of years ago:
Drupal needs a white paper. This way, the opening sections of the About
section can be written for a general audience. Then, clearly visible in
that section and perhaps featured elsewhere (maybe even a link on the
home page) would be a text that targets developers and web designers in
the genre for the IT field that is specifically used for that purpose.

Now a white paper might be more effort than anyone is willing to put in
right now, but both your and Liza's concerns do suggest another
structure for the documentation. How about something along this line of
thinking:

About Drupal (general introduction)
- Drupal is for everyone
- Drupal is for bloggers and communities
- Drupal is for project management
- Drupal is for education
- Drupal is for web activism
- Drupal is for web designers
- Drupal is for open source code developers
- Drupal is for ?
- Drupal is for ?

This may not be the best list or might be too many. And each of these
cases may also overlap in their discussion since the assumption is that
people may only read the sections relevant to them. But the goal is to
have different short sections that target a variety of interests found
in the more general audience of people looking at Drupal. Whether this
works or not, we need a document that can target multiple audiences.

I also think what it does do is focus on what I would say is Drupal's #1
selling point: Drupal is a unique, flexible platform which can well suit
the needs of many. Perhaps others might not agree that this is Drupal's
#1 selling point. If not, then figuring out what that is would be an
important step toward best figuring out how to create this marketing
section.

Charlie