[drupal-docs] Round 4 of documentation sprint Admin help:merging into the handbook

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Wed May 25 08:06:07 UTC 2005

What I read makes a lot of sense, but keeping track of all the tasks as they are listed here on the mail becomes a bit tedious, and unmanageable, especially if you're out of the office as much as I am.

Maybe we should think of maintaining the core of the ideas that were discussed in one way or another? If you use, for example, a forum with restricted access, where you can have content threaded (good!) and filtered (as the forum topics are editable) (as opposed to non-threaded in your mail client, or only threaded and not filtered with mailing list archives) wouldn't it be easier to maintain?

The feasibility of this idea is highly into question, as I can't see a single person weeding out irrelevant information from the mails and posting them to the site, but, I would just like to hear some opinions and thoughts about this.

Regards,

Kobus

>>> cel4145 at cyberdash.com 5/24/2005 9:17:08 PM >>>
This sounds like the beginning of an interesting proposal. But let's
start by forming a documentation team (two people as coordinators) to
prepare a proposal for reorganizing/reworking that entire section. Right
now we have a proposal based on the viewpoint of one; one main goal of
the documentation teams is to present to the larger community a proposal
that represents the viewpoints of two people.

Meanwhile, at this moment, the goal of Kieran's project is to move the
admin/help into the handbook and make sure that non-empty pages exist
for the links in the admin/help which connect to the handbook. The
documentation team can then decide on the best method for organizing the
entire section at a later time and move this pages again if they see
fit. Otherwise, the alternative is not to go forward with the admin/help
integration for now until a documentation team can put together a
proposal for doing the entire section and we can discuss it.

However, Kieran is willing to manage the move as part of an effort to
get the admin/help submitted into Drupal core. This is his main priority
at the moment. Since Kieran is prepared to do this now, and no one was
forthcoming in forming a documentation team in the last few days for
restructuring this section of the handbook, I made a decision to let him
go forward with this project since he's committed and has people willing
to assist. I've been assisting as well and would invite everyone else to
join in.

So to reiterate, yes, these are interesting ideas. And two people
can/should form a documentation team to restructure this section of the
book. But at the moment, Kieran needs feedback based upon his goals.
Let's stay focused on the smaller picture now and save the bigger
picture for when we have at least two volunteers ready to move forward
with the larger project.