[drupal-docs] CMS comparison

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Fri May 27 21:10:53 UTC 2005

Dries Buytaert wrote:

>Somewhat off-topic but see http://fiskbooth.com/report-full.pdf.

I thought this review was quite odd...

I read through it, and from the text I got a very good impression of
Drupal and most of the other software. Yet at the end, they decide to
give each CMS a score based on the presence of certain shallow features.
As has been pointed out, they did not include contributed modules, so
Drupal is said not to have wysiwig or trackback and scores very, very
low. On top of that, the report was written for 21Publish, and in spite
of a claim of no bias, I find it suspicious that that product scores
9.5, though there was mention of some serious bugs and lack of
extensibility which almost all the competitors have.

Furthermore, they say Drupal lacks the following features in their
scoring chart:

- "Automated blog sign-up": signing up on a site with blog.module gives
you a blog automatically, but this isn't very clear in Drupal. It has
been discussed before, but perhaps we should look again at making
blog.module more suited for blog hosting. The same goes for "simple
multi-blog support" which we do have. Still, it is as simple as
explaining the benefits of registration to your users.

- "Blog branding": IMO this is a big oversight on their part, which they
say is about being able to easily brand each blog with a banner at the
top. Drupal has plenty capabilities, with logos in the header, sidebar
blocks, etc. You have full control with the theme system.

- "Archiving": does not apply due to our use of dynamic pages, but we
still have archive.module as well as the ability to access old content
like it was new. IMO classic blog-style archiving of pages is a stupid
practice that has no place in a real CMS. All content should be equal.

- "Blog aggregation": with RSS feeds for all the important blog pages
and a built-in news aggregator with custom categorization, I think
Drupal scores a generous +1 on this item.

By their own logic, we should score 9.5, not 5.5 ;). I guess the
question is: how can we make our existing features more visible to
users? Something for the docs team to think about...

Steven Wittens