[drupal-docs] Please add your username to the Log entry when you revise a Handbook page

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Tue May 31 07:17:44 UTC 2005

On 30 May 2005, at 22:42, Charlie Lowe wrote:

> The handbook/updates page is a page with PHP code created by Dries
> (see
> below). If someone would like to add in the revision username and
> date,
> we can update that display.
>
> Meanwhile, might be good to think about updating the revisions tab
> with
> log messages, too.

I'll take a look at this.  The main problem is that we don't store
the name of the people making revisions.  We only store the name of
the page's main author -- the main author is usually left unchanged
unless you make significant changes.  Nonetheless, I can make a
change or two to encourage 'good log messages'.  I'll get back to you
as soon this has been implemented.

Remind that Gerhard's revisions patch takes care of the above
problem; it allows us to track the authors of each revision.  In
addition, it paves the path to improved versioning (think
'branches'). It would be great if the 'book module team' (or
'documentation technology team'?) could help test this patch and help
drive its development.  It is important and should get some
priority.  After all, it is the book module, and the documentation
team in particular, that will benefit most from this work. (Read up
on the patch's issue for the latest details.)

My documentation TODO list looks as follows:

   1. Review the pending book module patches provided by Djun.
   2. Test/debug Gerhard's revisions patch (requires your help).
   3. Improve 'Handbook updates' page as per the suggestions in this
thread.
   4. Refactor the tracker page so we can track book updates.
   5. Refactor the tracker module to provide RSS feeds.
   6. Provide e-mail notifications of book updates changes.