[drupal-docs] How fast can you read 120 paragraphs

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Tue May 31 23:18:26 UTC 2005

Here are some of the comments I am getting from one volunteer who not
on this list:

General Comments
1.  have all the links been tested?
2.  overall, i feel that there should be a title on each page.  So if
I link to this page, I should clearly see that I am on the "Blocks"
page or the "Archives" page
3.  This may be too much work, but each page could have a section
that says "Summary" and then one that says "???"
4.  Prefer if "you can" sections were titled "In this XYZ module, you
can"

aggregator
redundant: newly updated news
Suggest "With the news aggregator, you can" instead of just "you can"
You mention "users" and "administrators" so when you say "they" who
are you referring to?

archive
wouldn't the "archive" page be for archiving data?  Usually,if you're
looking for older data it is in the "archives" (plural)
in the aggregator, you linked to "block administration"
2nd paragraph, may want to say: To view the archive by date, select
the date...
same comments as above regarding "you can"
periods missing at the end of each bulleted item
no link to "block administration" in the "you can" section

block
-in general, I find blocks a bit confusing.  Maybe you could give
more orientation to them.  For example: there are 2 types of blocks:
module generated abd admin defined...etc.
-suggest: A Block is a box of related/grouped data that is visible in
the sidebar or your web site.
-usually, the first sentence is a summary of what you are talking
about in the page.  Given this, you might want to mention
"administrator defined blocks"
-whats a sidebar?  the navigation bar?
-missing hypertext links? ie Throttle, Modules, and some of the new
terms in the bulleted list
-User settings in the bulleted list: You is the administrator?  If
so, please say that.
-There is another ambiguous "you" reference in the "admin defined
blocks" section.

blog
-you might want to mention that people can add comments to posts
-This sentence is a little hard to understand: "The blog module adds
a "user blogs" navigation link to the site, which takes any visitor
to a page that displays the most recent blog entries from all the
users on the site."  Suggest breaking it up into 2 sentences.
-You talk about an "import module" as the news aggregator but this
fact is not mentioned in the aggregator file.
-I think the word "lists" should be singular in this sentence:
"...blog-it link next to each news item in its lists."
Alternatively, you could say "in each of its lists" to denote plurality.
-This sentence is too long: "Clicking on this takes the user to the
blog submission form, with the title, a link to the item, and a link
to the source into the body text already in the text box, ready for
the user to add a comment or explanation."  Suggest: "Clicking on the
"blogit" link takes the user to the blog submission form, with the
title, a link to the item, and a link to the source automatically
inserted into the body text.  The submission form is then ready for
the user to add a comment or explanation.
-Same comments on the "you can" section...suggest "With blogs, you
can"...
-"administer blog" should be "administer a/the/your blog"
-"administer blog api" should be "administer the/your blog api"

blog api
-The first sentence is awkard: "The blog API module enables posting
to your site
via external GUI applications"  What is being posted?
-Suggest a change in this sentence: The blog api allows for users to
have the freedom to use the blogging tools they want but still have
the blogging server of choice."  Change to: The blog api provides
users the freedom to use the blogging tools they want but still have
the blogging server of choice.
-BlogAPI in the second paragraph is missing a space between the two
words.
-links missing in the "You can" section
-Same comments on the "you can" section...suggest "With the blog API,
you can"...

book
-there are a lot of features which is overwhelming...you may want to
say why a user would choose a book over a wiki over a blog, etc.
-in this sentence: "Book pages have navigation elements" I believe
the word should be "navagational"
-node types: huh?  are these defined elsewhere?
-In the intro paragraph, I would state that non-book node types can
go in a book.  This is mentioned at the end and I think it should be
mentioned at the top.
-Same comments on the "you can" section

buddylist:
-The plural of the word buddy is buddies, not buddy's
-buddy's buddy's should be buddy's buddies
-thereby should be therefore OR thereby exploring...(not explore)
I'd like to reword the second paragraph (typo = enable, typo = user
should be use)
You can add buddies via user profiles. The site administrator must
enable viewing users profiles to be able to use the buddy list
option.  On the "View" tab of the user profile, there is a "Buddy
list" section. One of the buddy list actions is "Add Buddy." Select
this action to add a user to your buddy list. If a user is already in
your buddy list, the add action will remove the buddy. Another buddy
list action is "Buddy List Block."  This actions allows you to ???? A
site administrator can also enable the Friends Of A Friend (FOAF)
module to allow for sharing of buddy lists between different social
networking applications.
-what does buddy list block do?  I put "???" where you need to
elaborate.
-as a side note, I think it is a bad idea to use the Add Buddy action
to remove a buddy.

comment
-skipped

configure
-was blank

contact
-missing some hypertext links?  ie. "account settings"
-Can this sentence be reworded?: "Members of the community may be
interested in something you have posted or they have been referred to
you, and the contact module is important in helping make connections
among members of your community"
-Missing a comma in this sentence: "If users enable the personal
contact form, then a contact tab will appear in their user
profile." (I inserted it after the word "form").  Would "activate" be
a better verb here?  Not sure if "enable" is what you use in the
application.
-In the "You can" section, the first word of each bullet is not
consistently capitalized.
-periods missing at the end of each bullet in the "you can" section

contact manager
-blank

Drupal
-in this sentence, the word "which" should be "that": "...directory
server which maintains a..."
-in this sentence, remove the first comma: "allow members to login to
any other site, which uses the Drupal module, using a login name
which..."
-I don't think this is correct:  site's ...
-in the first bulleted item in the "you can" section, the word "you"
should be "your"