[documentation] Problem with MIME magic and solution

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Wed Jan 4 17:08:38 UTC 2006

Hi!

People are reporting problems with the new security measures taken in
recent versions (4.6.4/4.5.6 and onwards). As the error message is
everything but clear:

* warning: mime_magic: invalid mode 026763477601. in
/home/mel01/public_html/drupal47/includes/file.inc on line 150.

it's not obvious what's wrong. The problem here is that Apache (not
Drupal!) MIME magic module is not configured correctly. The solution,
which will make your site a bit less secure but uploads will work is to
use the disable_functions setting in php.ini to disable the
mime_content_type function. Drupal functions without it.

I do not know how to communicate this to our users, I hope the docs team
have ideas where to put this info.

Regards

NK