[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Thu Jan 5 13:56:32 UTC 2006

I sent this earlier, but it didn't see to go through -- I apologize if some of you are seeing this twice.

Hello, all,

Yeah, I was having some trouble seeing that page too -- thanks for
pulling it back into the realm of the visible.

I like the way it reads except for one thing: "Drupal can define
customers as contributors who pay with their time, and clients that
sponsor development."

As I see it, Drupal doesn't have customers -- at least not in the sense
of commercial software products. I would recommend changing the line I
quoted above to: "As an open source project, Drupal has community
members. These members contribute according to their skills, their time,
and their inclination. Drupal does not have a customer base, it has a
user base. As the project grows (as the functionality changes, as the
documentation evolves, and as more people use the software varying
ways), we look to expand the number of users who contribute to the project."

Also (and I'm sorry if this already exists) it might be good to have a
handbook page outlining how non-coders can contribute to Drupal -- the
Hitchikers' page could link to this, as well as to the README first page
and the "How to enact change" page (which rocks, btw  :) .

My .02

Cheers,

Bill

----