[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Thu Jan 5 16:01:37 UTC 2006

-1 for the tone. Rather than say what Drupal is not, better to emphasize
what Drupal is. Something like:

Drupal represents the result of a collaborative effort between
volunteers who contribute their own time and effort to the collective
endeavor. As such, Drupal is developed not according to client demand
but by the interests of those participating in the collaboration.

What this means is that while feature suggestions are not discouraged,
Drupal users should understand that the best way to get Drupal to do
what they want is to participate in the development.

This does not mean you need to be a PHP expert. Development moves on
many fronts, from PHP code to xhtml markup to CSS stylesheets to
documentation writing to simply helping where you can in the support
forums. Drupal benefits the most from your participation. Kibitzing  is
of limited value because, in the end, somebody has to do the work.

---

Laura

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 02 Jan 2006, at 12:01, Robert Castelo wrote:
>> I've posted a page to the handbook explaining to users
>> (non-contributors) that they are not the centre of most developer's
>> universe....
>>
>> Hitchhikers guide to Drupal
>> http://drupal.org/node/42941
>
> 1. It is a fun but confusing title, IMO.
>
> 2. It duplicates information available in other book pages.  If you
> add or approve this, make sure to clean up some of the other pages!
>
> --
> Dries Buytaert  ::  http://www.buytaert.net/

Laura Scott
laura at pingv.com