[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Kim P. Werker kim at crochetme.com
Thu Jan 5 23:29:08 UTC 2006

Robert, thanks for your post. It's fascinating to me.

It seems I'm coming from a fairly unique place (though maybe I'm
wrong) -- I can't help but wonder why developers put tons of effort
into something without having the goal for it to reach as many users
as possible. I'm only now somewhat coming to understand.

But here's the thing -- more and more users are like me. I'm not a
developer -- I'm just a happy Drupaler. With 2005's massive growth,
it seems there's a rapidly growing mass of users like me. I thought
Drupal was for people like us, but I'm learning that's not the intent.

I started a forum thread a couple of weeks ago because I'm desperate
to help with newbie-oriented documentation. There's a fair amount of
resistance; I couldn't really understand why. One of the most salient
objections to our idea of starting a sister site with newbie-oriented
how-tos and case studies is that it would splinter resources. But the
more I understand of the goals of Drupal development in general, the
more convinced I'm getting that eventually some folks with popular
marketing and "average" end-users in mind are going to splinter off
into their own distribution with prettier packaging, slightly
smoother edges, and more straightforward, newbie-oriented
documentation. And I won't think that's a bad idea at all. But I
wonder if it might not be so great for drupal.org...

Hm. I'm pretty much just thinking out loud, so to speak. Are these
questions that come up often, or is it that Drupal's coming to a
turning point?

Cheers,
Kim