[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at cortextcommunications.com
Fri Jan 6 10:58:18 UTC 2006

+1 on Jeremy's version.

A few suggested edits below:

On 6 Jan 2006, at 06:04, Jeremy Epstein wrote:
> Drupal hitchhikers are regular users: that is, people who use
> Drupal for their own needs, whether they be personal, corporate,
> community-based, or otherwise.

"regular users"

Ambigiuos, could mean use regularly, or non-technical 'average Joe'
users?

Is there a better description we could use?

> However, as a hitchhiker, you're taking advantage of the generosity of
> hundreds of other people

'benefiting' would be better than 'taking advantage'

>  who have made Drupal the great platform that
> it is, and you're doing it at no cost. As such, there is one basic
> rule of etiquette that you should abide by,

> in order to avoid getting
> your legs bitten off by the lions at the back of the van:

Technically inacurrate, newbies are fed to sharks not lions ;-)

Joking aside, this makes Drupal sound like a dangerous place.

Suggest:

"to continue getting the full support of the Drupal community"

> Don't start making demands!
>
> Drupal is a volunteer effort. You're welcome to suggest features.
> You're welcome to point out bugs or usability problems. You're welcome
> to politely ask for help. But DO NOT angrily rant about the features
> that Drupal lacks and that you require of it, and then demand that
> "the developers" address said shortcomings as soon as possible.

> This
> is a good way to annoy the top brass in Drupal, who do not deserve to
> have their countless unpaid hours of service rewarded in this manner.

"top brass" sounds like Drupal has a large formal management structure.

suggest:

"This is a way to annoy the Drupal community"

or

"This is a way to annoy your fellow passengers"

> Hitchhikers have no obligations, but as they say in the world of
> taxi-driving, gratuities are appreciated. Here's some handy hints for
> how to be a generous hitchhiker, and for how to start being more than
> someone who's just getting a free ride:

Mixing metaphors, suddenly we're in a taxi?!

Maybe add something about volunteering to drive, change a tire, work on
the engine or donating some petrol money.

Best regards,

Robert