[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Angie Byron drupal-docs at webchick.net
Fri Jan 6 16:09:10 UTC 2006

Just a few comments...

> "Drupal hitchhikers are regular, layman users..."

There is a perception problem here with the word "users" in that (based on past
discussions like this) core contributors tend to consider users as anyone who
uses the software and doesn't contribute directly back to it. This includes a
"Joe User" from somedrupalsite.com who uses the software to post their daily
blog entry, but it also includes "Joe Web Administrator" who creates sites using
Drupal as a tool. The latter group does not consider themselves users, but
website administrators. So I think this needs to be more explicit.

> I used the term 'top brass' as a joke / parody, because I assume that
> readers will be aware that Drupal is open source and is an open
> community, and that it doesn't actually have 'management' (except for
> 3 people, who are too friendly to be managers anyway ;-) ).

The very crux of the conflict between "developers" and "users" is that these
users who are consistently complaining and maligning Drupal for not doing what
*I* want the way *I* want it to and *yesterday* and *you* will fix it *now* (who
I would argue is the primary target audience of this piece) in fact DON'T seem
to understand how open source works at all.

And it's difficult as someone who does "get" open source development to
understand where this misconception comes from... people certainly can't call up
Microsoft and tell them, "I will refuse to buy the new version of Office unless
it has this following list of features..." Maybe it's the increased
accessibility of the developers over a proprietary, closed-source project in
itself that leads certain people to believe that we're magical coding robots
with no lives of our own who live only to eagerly fulfill end user's requests
with only a kick in the teeth for not having it done sooner as our thanks. End
rant. :P

I think here we should implement Steven's suggestion of a "philosophy" document
(either within this text or in a separate page) explaining the community-driven
development process so that people don't come in here with the wrong
expectations initially; it will probably help to ease the frustration level
somewhat, or at least have a page to point out to some of our more "difficult"
users. ;)

> "Hitchhikers have no obligations, but if you've got some loose change
> in your pocket, a bit of petrol money is always appreciated."

People are going to take this too literally imho, and think they literally have
to pay people to get things done, and they'll balk at this idea. It's important
because this is far from the only option... they could help raise funds, they
could garner interest from a developer, they could take the time to learn and
code it themselves. So maybe name at least one of the other metaphor options in
addition to the petrol money one. ;)

Btw, I have kind of a "sister" document to this one here:
"HOWTO: Enact change within the Drupal community" http://drupal.org/node/36602
that I put up a couple months ago... its audience is slightly different, in that
it's geared toward people making demands about Drupal.org itself, but there is a
list of ways to contribute in it and a bit about how the community works, etc.
It's possible this document could either be merged with the Hitchiker's guide or
else linked to it if there's any useful tidbits you like.

-Angie