[documentation] Babies, Spoons, Food and Funny Faces

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Sat Jan 7 15:45:57 UTC 2006

gunnar wrote:
> Thanks a lot Themacgeek for volunteering to taking on this huge project.
> ;-)
>
> We have onboard a few people with e-learning, tech training, wbt experience
> (including my four years in e-learning/wbt/cbt in 1997-2001 - It's a little
> rusty now but I did great things back then in Oracle and as an independent
> consultant later).
>
> I totally agree that Drupal needs training material to get those nasty newbies
> off our developers backs ;-).

Ditto. Thanks to Themacgeek for expressing interest in this and you are
so right, Gunnar. Good training materials would be a big plus. The
problem, though, is that there is a limit to what one can accomplish
with generalized training videos (and other documentation as well).
Drupal has so many possiblities for configuring and setting up a site
that as one moves past the base installation and few basic settings, the
documentation/training system would grow exponentially in size/quantity.

Thus, documentation contextualized for specific site designs is better
since it becomes (1) more focused and (2) more limited in scope (and
thus much more manageable for those creating it). I keep hoping that the
profile system will one day get build so that we can create this kind of
contextualized documentation for the specific profiles offered. Plus,
site profiles would make moot many of the problems that newbies have at
first since the site would automagically be created for specific
contexts, propelling newbies past some of the basic roadblocks which
they encounter.

Still, some focus on basic installation and configuration is definitely
a good thing.

Charlie