[documentation] Real newbie documentation

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sat Jan 7 19:11:43 UTC 2006

On Jan 7, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Kim P. Werker wrote:

> I may be stepping in it, but has the group considered turning
> comments off on Handbook pages?

There is incredible value in those comments.  It's critical that we
have those comments so we can improve the documentation.

What we need is more people helping to extract the value of those
comments and updating the pages.

> The beauty of "official" documentation (by which I mean docs that
> are linked to from the main menu navigation of a software site,
> which implies to me that they're fairly final) is that it should be
> definitive (within reason). I was very confused by the comments
> when I first went to the Handbook for help. The comments made me
> think the actual documentation wasn't thorough, and left me
> confused as to where to go for help -- the Handbook page that was
> about the topic I wanted to learn more about, or the forum, where
> I'd essentially be shooting in the dark?
>
> Thinking bigger, with the upcoming release of 4.7 and this active
> discussion about organizing and fleshing out, maybe it's the
> perfect time to prevent further adding to the docs until they're
> reorganized, cleaned up, and a defined list of issues and
> assignments is made.
>
> In the past, has preparing docs in private been considered?

We do it all the time. It's unpublished documentation that's viewable
by the site moderators.  http://drupal.org/handbook/modules was
completely planned and iterated half a dozen times before going live
on Drupal.org.

> This would maintain the group collaboration, ensure that docs are
> clean before they're published, and prevent the Handbook from
> getting out of control (by which I mean growing in unpredictable
> ways or getting overrun with comments/issues, etc.).

The growth in unpredictable ways is what's so valuable.  Tools like
http://drupal.org/handbook/comments, and http://drupal.org/handbook/
most-popular-pages are exactly what we need to manage this
unpredictability.

> Which is far from where I started with my question about turning
> off comments. My morning coffee's sitting half full next to me.

I do think that handbook pages should be editable Wiki style.
Wikipedia has proven the value of this.   The real problem with
handbook documentation is that the people who are able to improve the
documentation are frequently unable to do so.

Kieran