[documentation] Example of how to clean up the comments on a handbook page

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sun Jan 8 01:26:46 UTC 2006

Now that we have a page to help us track the pages with the most
comments (http://drupal.org/handbook/comments) I want to give an
example of how extract the value of comments.

Here is the page with the third most comments : http://drupal.org/
node/15365,  Clean URLs.

I reviewed all 26 comments and made the following notes.  Of course
my notes are not perfect, and I'll probably get some stuff wrong.
However, people will add more comments about the stuff I get wrong
and eventually, it will be right.

My notes are below.  I am going to update the page and then post a
suggested improved version of the page as a documentation issue.

Explain .htaccess versus http.conf(Performance and security
enhancements) -http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3436911
Allow Override needs to be set to AllowOverride All.
Move .htaccess commands to httpd configuration file.
Include directive copies .htaccess into httpd.conf
Disable multiviews
RewriteBase / -adding the slash makes URL work in some instances.
Must enable the path module: admin >> modules  and then enable path,
as well administer >> access control and enable create URL and
administer URL for roles.

Ensure Apache is configured properly
1)mod_rewrite
2)LoadModule rewrite_module modules

Debian specific configurations
/usr/share/drupal must be symbolically linked to your desired url /
var/www/website.com
Can comment out the following in /etc/drupal
#alias /drupal /usr/share/drupal
#<Directory /usr/share/drupal>
<Directory /var/www/website.com
Apache2 on Debian #a2enmod rewrite, /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Settings.php
$conf['clean_url']=1;

Lighttpd -http://drupal.org/node/15365#comment-44471

WIMP-http://drupal.org/node/27141

Clean URL overwrites existing path e.g. /admin  -use subdirectory or
i made a alias mysite.com/admin/index and punit that to the drubal
admin page to non-clean URL.