[documentation] handbook update

Steven Peck speck at blkmtn.org
Sun Jan 8 12:14:37 UTC 2006

So, I've done a lot of work since Tuesday and come to the conclusions that as hard as writing useful docs is, editing is a much bigger pain somewhere.  I also need a bigger monitor to hold all the open browser windows I had.

So, evenings Tuesday, Wednesday and pretty much 14+ hours Saturday.
So, two of the handbook's have been renamed.  We now have Installation and configuration and Customization and theming.

I ordered a lot of pages, consolidated a bunch of sections, wrote some intro texts and culled some old content and comments.  One of the bigger changes was I renamed a buch of the titles to something that will hopefully attract more reading and really identify what the content was.  Reduced the number of top level items to group them under related topics.  A lot of the pages and content has been here for a while (jeez, we have a lot of content).  There is still more consolidating and culling to do, but I think from a top level it reads better now and flows more smoothly.  I tried to hit the top pages with a more detailed look.

I will say without the effort Kieren Lal lead to get the modules help into the handbook, this section would not have been as posible as it is now.

The order chosen was a deliberate progression ..

Installation and configuration <http://drupal.org/node/258>

*	Introduction to Drupal terminology <http://drupal.org/node/21951>   renamed to be more relavent.  Some old old definitions worked on.  Hopefully more folks will stop by and read this.
*	System requirements <http://drupal.org/node/270>  - not really touched much, added a few comments, lock tables
*	Installing Drupal, modules and themes <http://drupal.org/node/43767>  -consolidated three sections under this umbrella.  Some work on pages and comments.  Needs more, but it'll do for this pass.
*	Basic site configuration <http://drupal.org/node/363>  -I did a bunch of stuff here.  I plan on doing more this week.  So when people ask how to do something basic with core (filter section, workflow) we can link them to a page here and others will learn to look.
*	Drupal modules and features <http://drupal.org/handbook/modules>  - just moved to this handbook, don't plan to touch it.
*	Best practices guidelines <http://drupal.org/best-practices>  - moved to this handbook, some of the content will be moved to basic site config
*	Troubleshooting FAQ <http://drupal.org/node/199>  - this needs a serious going over and restructuring, but I haven't gotten to it yet.  Probably Tuesday.
*	Upgrading from previous versions <http://drupal.org/upgrade/>  - lots of comments edited into the content and removed.
*	Migrating from other software <http://drupal.org/node/271>  - didn't touch no idea.
*	Tuning your server for optimal Drupal performance <http://drupal.org/node/2601>  - won't touch, out of my expertise.

Notes:

heine http://drupal.org/user/17943 -helped review and identify duplication and verbage and comment culling.
oNyx http://drupal.org/user/18866 -feedback, bounce ideas and phrases.  Made him read things :)
osinet http://drupal.org/user/27985 -found some very old definitions in the terminology section so we spent a bit of time updating them.

Amazon - comments cleanup

I high-jacked a few misc others to ask questions but don't have them written down.

So, tomorrow because I am a moth I will probably spend a little time on it but will spend most of the day taking care of my wife (back injury) and playing World of Warcraft.  Returning to /handbook slogging on Monday.  At this point I will probably get to the Customization and theming section Tuesday.  :)

I will probably post an update to Drupal.org on Monday which is when I hope to have that first book done enough for this first rough pass.  I also want to make sure the folks who helped get some mention.

a very tired glad he's not an english major...
-sp