[documentation] the documentation site is too broken and lacks formatting and writing style

Angie Byron drupal-docs at webchick.net
Wed Jan 11 16:18:24 UTC 2006

 > I guess I will have to file issues first because a lot of fixing this
 > requires that you move infomation and destroy the old page which
 > probably means having administration previleges right?

True, actually executing the changes requires administration privileges to pull
handbook items out of moderation. But anyone can go to:

http://drupal.org/node/[whatever]/edit

and submit changes, which will then go to the moderation queue (see:
http://drupal.org/handbook/updates).

You can also create new book pages from:

http://drupal.org/node/add/book

This is useful if you wish to show us a "before and after" of what a page would
look like. Then an administrator can apply those changes to the original page if
all looks good.

And finally, once you've proven yourself as a contributor, you can apply to
become a "Site Maintainer" (see: http://drupal.org/site-maintainers) so you can
do these changes yourself. Though any major handbook chages should still
generally go to community review first, via this docs list.

 > There is also a breaking up up of information because although the
configuration is on a single page in Drupal, the instructions are broken up into
9 lead pages and dozens of child pages. This is unnecessary and creates more
confusion while putting a stop to the short term attention span of the user.

Just be careful to strike a balance between deep-linking and making 60,000 word
pages that no one will read because they're too dense with information. There is
something to be said for wanting specific information and being able to go
directly to it, rather than having to scroll down 10 pages of text to find it.

 > Furthermore I think that there whould be a handbook page that shows the right
writing format and style to be used in the handbook.

There is actually a whole section in the documentation handbook about this. See:
http://drupal.org/documentation-writers-guide

Thanks for offering to help!
-Angie