[documentation] the documentation site is too broken and lacks formatting and writing style

nathandigriz tesla.nicoli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 09:09:01 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:

> On 11-Jan-06, at 10:44 PM, puregin wrote:

>>     Embedded headings are an issue
>> of authorship and editorship, not readership.
>> They neither add to nor detract from
>> readability and usability.  A heading is a
>> heading as far as a reader is concerned.
>

> Since Djun came >< this close to becoming documentation czar, I'm
> inclined to put my vote his way for all the reasons he quoted. Edit a
> Word document in outline mode sometime, and you'll see what a pain it
> is if you don't match styles with headings -- each section SHOULD be
> a node, otherwise it is incorrectly structured and needs to be
> consolidated or expanded.
>
> Djun, maybe getting people the handbook in OPML/outline format would
> help in re-organizing on the desktop, since they could fiddle with it
> locally and propose changes more easily....
>
> --
> Boris Mann
> Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595
> SKYPE borismann
> http://www.bryght.com

I am sorry but I still disagree. My experience comes from a newspaper
journalist view and having had to to help with editing. Typographic,
layout, headers and print structure are the most important thing from a
readers point of view. Many a newspaper have gone under and many text
books fail because of the lack of proper structure. this is one of the
problems with online reading. Many times the time proven methods for
making reading a document easy and interesting are overlooked in favor
of software workflows and the capability of shortening a work routine.
As proof of the point you could ask yourself how all this information
would look if you had to put it in paperback form. How would you
structure a PDF book? You could not very well set seperate  sections for
every paragraph. Logically the only way would be to find a basic
structure that work and stick to it. Sticking to the basics is more
important and will get less complaints form the readership than trying
to make things easy. As someone mentioned, this is hard work. It is
lengthy, painstaking and monotnous but the job just seems to get bigger
when you try and circumvent the tasks by changing proven ground rules.