[documentation] Documentation session in Vancouver

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Sun Jan 15 20:18:39 UTC 2006

Angie Byron wrote:
> I welcome any feedback anyone would like to give. I want to make sure we
> cover a broad range of topics and get a clear plan of action as a result
> of this session. This is the first time I've ever done something this so
> I can use all the help/advice I can get, hehe. ;)

There have been lots of good ideas posted in the last week (partially in
response to this post). This may seem obvious, but I hope that any "plan
of action" will prioritize resources offered. One thing that I notice is
that there never seems to be a lack of good ideas, but we often don't
have the committment to affect them. Having volunteers to complete a
task should weigh in heavily in any plan for action. Better to have
smaller improvements which reach completion then plans for bigger and
better projects which don't.

Also keep in mind long term maintenance. It may sound great to add in a
whole new section to the handbook in some grand initiative to create
additional documentation, but that adds in an extra burden for
maintaining the handbooks. This also may come at the expense of
refinement of existing documentation. Which would serve Drupal users
best? More documentation, or improved documentation? There is a healthy
balance in there somewhere, but let's not forget that the handbook has
grown greatly in the last year. People from the community seem willing
to contribute docs; there seems to be less of a commitment in terms of
the number of people willing to refine, revise, update, or reorganize
what is in the handbooks. It may be better to prioritize those kinds of
efforts to make sure that they happen.