[documentation] Links to module pages from contributed modules

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Mon Jan 16 06:46:35 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:

>> We have 80 or so modules in a consistent format right now.  We have
>> published guidelines on what the format is going to be for
>> Administration Help for modules.  Please don't go and change just a
>> few to be a new format.  It causes confusion and inconsistency.
>

> Hmmm...ouch. So I can't improve that section at all until we go  through
> a huge reorganization process. I understand why...it's just  tough to
> stomache. So...I guess I should go in and back out my changes?

I made a suggestion in this thread for how we might accomplish linking
to the project page using the current format. Related modules could
certainly go on a subpage. We could discuss these possibilities.

> Hmm. I don't think that sits only with the documentation coordinator,
> unfortunately, as all those nasty developers will have a say in how
> this gets done at a code level. I *think* there are some technology
> solutions/thinking need in this area which, as you say...we're going  to
> need to think about and discuss.

Is there a sudden interest in developing a better technological
solution? That would be great. The issue was raised last spring/summer,
and no one had one to offer that would be accepted by Dries and meet the
needs of translators.

In the meantime, Kieran and CSL have easily invested much more time
developing the admin/help documentation in the last six months than
everyone else in Drupal combined (and more time than probably everyone
spent in the previous couple of years). They have been the de facto
admin/help maintainers. Much like you would with a module maintainer,
why not seek documentation solutions that assist them in what they have
been doing?