[documentation] Links to module pages from contributed modules

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Mon Jan 16 13:41:29 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:

>>> Hmmm...ouch. So I can't improve that section at all until we go
>>> through a huge reorganization process. I understand why...it's  just
>>> tough to stomache. So...I guess I should go in and back out  my changes?
>>

>> I made a suggestion in this thread for how we might accomplish
>> linking to the project page using the current format. Related  modules
>> could certainly go on a subpage. We could discuss these  possibilities.
>

> Yes, I saw that...I didn't realize the "You can also..." was part of
> the format, since I didn't see it everywhere. I will fix. Basically,
> it's an extra section where you can put links etc. that shouldn't/ won't
> screw up the format? Great -- FOAF is an example: http://
> drupal.org/handbook/modules/foaf

There were a few where there was no configuration list. For example,

http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/legacy

If you see any with the contrib modules for which there is not a "You
can" list where there are configuration options that should be there,
definitely add them in.

> I don't think related modules should go on a sub-page. It should if  it
> were longer, but it's a handful of links.

Better than just a list of links would some information as to why these
additional modules are useful with the module in question. That would
make it worth having an additional page.

> OK...so to condense that rambling: I propose that the guidelines be
> amended to include the last link in the "You can..." section of the
> form "visit the <a href="http://drupal.org/project/zzz">zzz module
> project page</a>".

What do you think, Kieran?

> According to the guidelines (http://drupal.org/node/24566) -- there  is
> nothing about "You can..." specified, and also nothing about  outgoing
> links.

It's there:

"The list of links should begin with the phrase "You can" and be
followed by an unordered list of complete sentences that describe a task
and identify the path to the page where administrators can accomplish
that task. If the list has only one item it should be a single paragraph
beginning with 'You can'."

Since you didn't catch it, maybe the explanation in that section needs
to be better?

> Of course, adding the link to the project page could  also be
> automated. Can someone please review the changes to FOAF to  see if this
> is OK? http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/foaf -- I  believe I created
> the proper auto-doc links....

I checked. The format seems to be correct.