[documentation] A suggestion to improve drupal.org handbooks

Ram Dak ramdak5000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 15:01:19 UTC 2006

You're right. I was also thinking about stuff such as use cases, tips and tricks etc.

  However, at the moment, I am thinking more about the documentation *on*  the handbook pages. I suspect it will be easier to add this stuff there  than to ask module developers to do it. Or, may be I am not  understanding your point?

  Ramdak

gunnar <gunnar at langemark.com> wrote:  What you're hinting at could extend this way:
Have a structured documentation node type with fields to fill. For a module
document that would mean:

--------

Name of module
Purpose of module
Drupal version(s)
Prerequisites and dependencies
Installation and configuration procedure
- Database
- Settings
- Access Control
- Blocks configuration
- Menus
- Theme related stuff

More
- Snippets
- Working with other modules

Use Cases
(fictional or real)

--------

Best
Gunnar

> I have a few ideas for improving the handbook  documentation and
> would like to volunteer for implementing them if the  people on this
> list think they will help.
>
>   These ideas are based on the tremendous difficulties I have had as
> a  non-geek in understanding what a drupal core or contributed
> module  does. The only way is to test each one out and this can be
> really time  consuming when testing multiple modules.
>
>   Current problems that newbies (and, I suspect, even others) have
> in understanding modules:
>
>   1.) Whether a module is dependent on another
>   2.) Whether an sql table should be added to make it work
>   3.) No idea about the different tables added by a module's sql file
>   4.) No idea about the permissions implemented by a module.
>
>   5.) No idea of what stuff a module adds to the navigation menu and
> UI.
>   6.) Whether the module adds customs blocks that can then be
> enabled and configured.
>
>   There may also be other aspects that I have overlooked.
>
>   I believe that documenting these would go a long way in helping
> people  get up to speed on drupal very quickly. For example, until I
> got into  the habit of visiting administer>>access
>  control>>permissions>>module name>>permissions, I  spent hours
> wondering why a module was not working. I bet many face the  same problem.
>
>   If this sounds useful, I am willing to do this work for 4.6 (as
> that  has the largest user base at the moment), starting with each
> core  module and moving on to the contribs.
>
>   I also feel that if the handbook would allow screenshots, it would
> make  for great documentation. As they say, a picture is worth a
> thousand  words and all that.
>
>   Thanks,
>   Ramdak

> Yahoo! Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
>  Photo Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

Gunnar Langemark
gunnar at langemark.com
--
Pending work: http://drupal.org/project/issues/documentation/