[documentation] PLEASE REVIEW: Customizing themes for node types, terms, sections, paths, and front page

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Mon Jan 23 07:20:00 UTC 2006

Hello, all,

First, the small things -- the "elseif" statements in the 2nd and 3rd
code snippets have typos -- it currently reads "elsif" in the second,
and "elsef" in the third.

Second, I agree with Charlie -- I recommend breaking this page into
three distinct pages:
1. Calling a different tpl.php file based on node type or location;
2. Calling a different style sheet based on node type or location;
3. Adding specific css classes based on node type or location.

As the page is currently written, the code in section 1 (the section
beginning "Apply a specific template such") needs (IMO) more thorough
explanation -- While I am not a programmer, I can fumble my way through
a php snippet -- the one thing that prevents me from making use of this
section is that I don't know what the $section variable refers to, or
how/where to put the css that would get read as a result of that code --
should it be in a new .css file, or included in the existing style.css?
I realize that my lack of understanding probably has more to do with my
lack of PHP knowledge than anything else, but, my shortcomings
notwithstanding, I think the section could use more detailed explanation
about how to fit the different pieces together.

The last section ends with the lines: "When viewing the root node this
may produce empty class attribute values -- including a constant prefix
to the class would prevent this. Finally we must be sure to that there
shouldn't be a line break before the DOCTYPE declaration, so you should
immediately follow both examples with the doctype line."

I recommend showing an example that illustrates these caveats, and
explaining why this example demonstrates best practice.

It also seems that there is some overlap between the page Kieran edited
(http://drupal.org/node/23348) and this page: http://drupal.org/node/45944

Cheers,

Bill

Charlie Lowe wrote:

> Kieran Lal wrote:
>
>> http://drupal.org/node/23348
>>
>> Hi, I have reviewed the 21 comments on Customizing your home page and
>> re-written it as a much longer page.  Dublin Drupaller has pointed
>> out that he would prefer a shorter page.
>>
>> Comments and feedback welcome.
>

> Couldn't this page be broken up into subtasks so that it could be
> multiple pages? That might work.

Bill Fitzgerald
http://www.funnymonkey.com
Tools for Teachers