[documentation] Proposal for a "Contributing to Drupal" handbook section

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Sun Mar 9 22:15:51 UTC 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Joel Farris wrote:

> I've been toying with an idea for attempting to teach the same process
> to both a newbie and a seasoned vet on the same page without either
> one of them getting lost or confused. I have seen this approach
> deployed very successfully on a certain hosting company's help pages,
> and it gave me the following idea. It's a daunting thought, to be
> sure, but one that I think we could accomplish with every new Book
> page if we all began to follow the formula of Brief Overview, followed
> by Detailed Analysis.

I really like this approach. I'm not sure how applicable it is
throughout the entire handbook for every page but I definitely like
this concept, especially for "complex" stuff.

> I think I like this idea a lot, now that I've written it out. If
> nobody objects, I will begin converting all our top level landing
> pages to this format.

What do you mean by "top level landing pages"? Do you mean the tabs
(Docs, Download, Support, etc) or do you mean each book landing page
or ...? There is other work going on in some of the tab landing pages
(specifically Contribute that I am aware of) so we need to make sure
we don't bust through someone else's work. If we are talking about
book landing pages, i think we should start writing up drafts for
these in issues in the queue and also give some time to see what a
reorg'd handbook looks like since some stuff is bound to shift and
change in the coming month.

Either way I think this is great stuff to start on and we should make
an issue for each page that we want to rewrite in this style, add a
draft and let us work it over a bit in relation to other changes that
are happening.

- Addi (add1sun)