[documentation] Suggestions for re-documenting Drupal

Nick nickchris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 20:13:30 UTC 2008

First, a little background: I've been lurking on the Drupal boards and on
this mailing list for some time now. I work for a newspaper in the
developing world, and in the near term we will be moving a portion of our
online media onto Drupal as a test pilot. For some weeks I had been toying
with various CMS, and after settling on Drupal, had to climb up the learning
curve from a point where I knew very little about PHP and even CSS, to a
point where I can now make my own themes and (very basic) modules from
scratch. Throughout this I have become fairly familiar with Drupal's
documentation, especially as it relates to a self-starters with a deep
interest in Drupal but who lack the immediate technical skills to grasp it
immediately. Despite my frustrations with the learning curve, I've become
yet another starry-eyed Drupal fanatic, and have big plans for contributing,
especially in the area of (translating) documentation.

So with that all said: Drupal.org's documentation page needs a lot of
reorganization. In fact, right now, it seems like a kind of Achilles heel to
certain aspects of its development (theming, translations), despite the fact
that developers are flocking to it.

I posted an issue that I think really captures what I'd like to suggest. You
can check it out here:

http://drupal.org/node/236444

So what do people think? If not this, what direction will the Drupal
documentation take in the future?

Last question: if a group of people raised their hands and said that they
loved this idea and would do this, what would the next step be?