[documentation] Trial run at Archiving pages rather than delete/unpublish

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sat Mar 29 19:56:49 UTC 2008

Hello, Addi,

In addition to (or perhaps instead of), how about a theming function
that gave all pages in the "Archive" book a different page background
color, or even a background watermark image that said "Outdated docs --
saved for archival purposes" --

My wording isn't great, but something that created an immediate visual
difference would help key people in that they had wandered into the
"Archive" area.

Cheers,

Bill

Addison Berry wrote:
> There has been a bit of discussion regarding the fact that when the
> docs team cleans out the handbook by unpublishing or deleting outdated
> handbook material that we are creating link rot issues. We are going
> to do a trial run of archiving them instead. There is a new top level
> book called Archive now. It is weighted at the bottom of the handbook
> list. It is not publicly linked anywhere. You can only get to it by
> direct URL or going to the d.o book list (not the handbook landing
> page, but the actual book module list at http://drupal.org/book.)
>
> So when "removing" old junk from the handbook, please follow this
> procedure:
> - Edit the title to start with "OUTDATED: "
> - Move the page to the Archive book.
>
> That's it. We will also look into the feasibility of adding a banner
> to those pages as well.
>
> Have fun!
> - Addi

Bill Fitzgerald