[documentation] Tag clouds and documentation

christopher calicott purrin at binary.net
Mon Sep 8 23:55:43 UTC 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Lee Hunter wrote:

> That way, you get the world view of the individual user, which is
> often surprising, idiosyncratic and useful (e.g. when they propose
> something like "survivors of shootings") and you get the collective
> wisdom of the other editors that say "Great idea, but let's make the
> category 'shooting survivors' not 'survivors of shootings' and let's
> make that a sub-category of "shooting victims".
>
> Lee Hunter
> Technical Editor

Exactly!   It's impossible to predict all the ways in which someone
might /need/ to find a bit of information so this allows the users to
enlighten the editors and the editors to play their role of sprucing
up the taxonomy slightly as they see fit (in our case, our policy is
that we do some search volume research on variations of the keyword/
category in question and then choose the one most likely to get the
traffic and/or searches.  In some more rare cases it might make sense
to use more than one synonym and then route one to the other more
popular one.)

-=- christopher