[documentation] D7 core docs sprint #1

adept digital evolution techlists at ade.pt
Tue Aug 4 20:23:41 UTC 2009

I just wrote:

> I had mistaken this whole "Documentation" effort to mean improved docs
> for users. From the standpoint of a Drupal _user_, even one who is
> quite tech savvy, the docs need a lot of work and I was hoping to
> pitch in.
>
> Is that part of this, or should I just politely go away? :-)

let me define what I mean by "user":

I do not mean someone who might author a blog piece posted to a menu
someone already set up for them in Drupal. I mean the average Joe or
Josephine who wants to create their own web site, and needs to install,
configure, and maintain Drupal core, themes and modules.

When you say this project is for "developer-facing" docs, I'm imagining
you mean the people who create the actual php code that makes Drupal
work?? (in which case i need to get outta here FAST!)

I'm sorry to have to be asking this question. I'm sure it's obvious to
the rest of you, there is sure to be an understanding on what
"developer" vs. "user" means in the Drupal subculture, but I have only
just joined it.

And if I am in the wrong place, please point me to the Group or Project
that might be dealing with making the website more usable and the
user-facing docs more complete and accurate. The web site itself is just
impossible to navigate, I'd love to help on the overall organization.

As an example of the Web site problems, I did not even know there is a
groups.drupal.org subdomain until I clicked on a doc project link and
was taken to that subdomain. Oh!! There are special Groups in this
community!! From the main site drupal.org there is no link to Groups.

Another big one is the impossibility of finding anything on the forums.
There is a single field. There is text that says "Try searching the
forums using the advanced search option first" but there is no link,
button or tab that says Advanced Search, not even after trying a simple
search in that one field. That text was written by someone who
understands what "advanced search" means to the long-timers, but forgot
that to someone like me visiting the forum as a newbie, if you refer to
a feature as "advanced search" either _link_ to that feature or if the
feature is right there on the page somewhere, _label_ it with that same
phrase: "advanced search".

where can i help on issues like these?

thanks!!!

ilyse