[documentation] need help with PDO requirement

adept digital evolution techlists at ade.pt
Fri Aug 21 16:51:05 UTC 2009

On 08-21-2009 12:25 PM, Nancy Wichmann wrote:
> If your host wants to attract any Drupal sites, they need to install PDO for
> you and make it available to everyone. Tell them you need it and ask them to
> do it.

well, my host sells unmanaged VPS's. Maybe I should have gotten a
managed VPS but I couldn't afford one.... but point well taken.

IMO if there isn't already one, Drupal needs a Marketing/Public
Relations committee like Mozilla and OpenOffice.org have, who will write
articles on sites like Web Hosting Talk urging hosting providers to
tweak their install scripts so that servers they rent are Drupal-ready
(even if there is no one-click install).

 And the Drupal install docs regarding PDO need to be written for the
average end-user to understand that not only is this not something they
really ought to play with, but is likely something they don't even have
rights to do within the average hosting account. "Ask your provider".
And now I'm learning it isn't even something you necessarily have to do,
though I still await a clear instruction on how one can verify whether
or not one's server needs it....

kazar