[drupal-support] Multiple HTTP Servers, one database?

Adam Gaffin AGaffin at nww.com
Thu Oct 6 13:44:12 UTC 2005

> We have a system, which is currently running on a single Apache server
> with a database. For reasons of load balancing and high availability,
> we would like to have multiple httpd's on different machines.
>
> Is this possible with Drupal? Is it supported somehow? What is the
> recommended setup? (Which Apache module, if any, login dispatcher,
> whatever) Does the application need to support the setup?

We're running Drupal in a server farm. The only thing we had to do
differently was to make sure that the config file pointed at the database
server, rather than localhost. I make changes to files (style sheets,
templates, settings.php, etc.) on our master server, which then replicates
everything out to the other servers. All of this is behind some
fancy-shmancy load balancer (Alteon, I think); the only problems we've ever
had is when one of the servers goes kablooey and stops accepting updated
files for one reason or another, and that's hardly Drupal's fault!

Adam Gaffin
Executive Editor, NetworkWorld.com
agaffin at nww.com / (508) 490-6433 / http://www.networkworld.com
"I programmed my robotic dog to bite the guy who delivers the electronic
mail." -- Kibo