[support] Is there any sort of map/overview/tree in Drupal?

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Sun Feb 4 17:56:59 UTC 2007

cl at isbd.net wrote:
> It just seems strange that something so essential/fundamental/useful
> (depends on your view I suppose) isn't in the default Drupal.  It's
> not in Joomla either but it *is* in some other CMS and, at least for a
> newcomer it makes them a whole lot more usable.

This one really is a POV thing. Simply put, if your site is designed that way,
it seems essential. But not all sites are designed that way.

I was actually just thinking to myself the other day that the old Site Map
model has been slowly disappearing; the model is somewhat limiting, in that it
really makes an assumption of static content that's placed in a library and
then never or rarely changes. That's not really what CMS's are expecting to do.
They're expecting to have living content that changes a lot.

In Drupal, people typically structure their content through taxonomy and/or the
menu and/or the book module. You tag your content to fit it into the taxonomy
structure and use taxonomy_menu to generate a tree.

Using the book module will automatically give you a default tree hierarchy,
with navigation, and it's *very* typical on the net of having tiered content. I.e,

Foobar manual
   Introduction
   Chapter 1: Baz
     Baz for you?
     How to baz
     Why baz, anyway?
     Advanced baz
       Baz for breakfast
       Baz for lunch
       Baz for dinner

Each node in a book then includes forward/backward/up navigation, as well as a
tree of all the nodes beneath it.

Book is fairly constrained, in the sense that it's harder to control the
navigation output than I'd like, but it does the job if that's what you're
looking for.

When using taxonomy to structure a site, you're 'grouping' nodes. You can use
various taxonomy modules to create some kind of a structure to find node
groups, and then browse through teasers. This, likely, isn't entirely what you
want given what you've said, but you can also use things like taxonomy redirect
and views to completely change exactly what it is you get when you go to a
given taxonomy term. And you can use pathauto to get the tids out of the URLs
so that it looks nicer.

And as Larry suggested, with the built in menu.module, you can give nodes menu
entries as you create them, and put them in the menu structure.

The one thing I'll say: What you suggest basically, where you have a map of
nodes and how the nodes link to each other...that's generally done done, in
part because it makes the nodes too important. The content is expected to be
fluid and come and go, and I think you're creating more in the way of static
content. That's fine, and I understand what you want, but it does mean you're
using a tool that's not quite meant for it, and as such sometimes things that
seem fundamental to what you're doing simply won't be available because not
that many people think about their site like that.