[support] cron job crashing server, and how many users is too many?

Grandmother Spider gs at grandmother-spider.com
Tue Feb 20 22:48:47 UTC 2007

I have a Drupal cron job (4.7) that crashes the web server--just hangs
but never returns a specific error message; if I let it run, it just
churns. I've let it go for five minutes before finally shutting it
down. Its hanging brings down the whole shooting match. The logs tell
me only that a segmentation fault occurred.

Very possibly related, whenever I try to do any administration related
to the user table--for instance, call up the troll module admin
pages--the site hangs similarly. This is a busy site with nearly 7500
registered users in the table. How many users are too many users? I
experience a similar but not nearly as dire slowdown on another site on
the same box with more than 5500 registered users; calling up admin
pages with users on it takes a bit but does complete, and its cron job
completes in maybe 10 seconds.

I just recently upgraded both sites to 4.7.x from 4.6. Anything anyone
could tell me would be useful. Thanks.

Lynn

------
Mama, homeschooler, writer, activist, spinner & knitter
http://www.siprelle.com

NOTICE: The National Security Agency may have read this email without
warning, warrant, or notice.