[support] Making menu peek-a-boo

A-NO-NE Music madflute at anonemusic.com
Wed Jun 20 20:45:34 UTC 2007

Jean Gazis / 2007/06/20 / 04:25 PM wrote:

>I don't know on the login - I have used the /user backdoor, and also
>sometimes the back button. I hope you get it sorted out quickly! I have also
>had some odd login behavior - getting bounced out for no apparent reason.

Man, this thing is so screwed up.  The only way to fix this was, not
restoring the database, but to restore entire site directory.  I then
studied how to patch manually.  Easy enough, I modified menu.inc by
hand.  Same results.  No more login.  Restoring menu.inc doesn't do
good.  It seems this modification flips somewhere badly.  It really
doesn't make sense why restring the modified file and database won't let
me login ever again.  The back door gets me 403 error, by the way.

>The way I have done a members-only block, I have an image there for
>anonymous users, and a menu for logged-in users, so it doesn't take up
>additional space. I don't know if that would work for you.

I am trying to make this discreet as possible so I wanted popping up a
new menu item to get attention.  In other words, I do not wish to have
anything there for normal visitors.  For now, I did it with block, but I
am not too happy with the layout moving by the block popping up.

>Do you mean like the admin menu items are always visible on your site? On
>all of mine it disappears if I am not logged in.

Admin menu is hidden by core.  So, if I create a user specific 'create
contents' menu, that would be hidden fine.  My problem is menu outside
of the admin tasks, say music library for my musicians to download for
next show.  I do not wish anyone else to see even the existence of it :-)

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>