[support] Permissions on a test site

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Aug 12 18:40:33 UTC 2008

Hello,

I just made a test site to experiment with Drupal upgrades, but the
permissions are all broken. This is what I did:

1) I made a new database. I copied every table from the old database to
the new database.

2) I copied the Drupal directory of the old site to a new directory. I
changed settings.php to point to the new database. I uploaded the directory.

That is all.

So I point my browser to the test site, Drupal seems to work except for
the fact that all nodes give me an "access denied" error. I can see the
side bars, the header, etc. It is as if someone had changed all the
permissions from all the nodes to deny access. Strangely, I can still go
to the login page, so I login as administrator. Drupal recognizes my
login and I can navigate through all the *Administration* pages, but I
still cannot access any nodes. I go to the home page, or any other page
and I get "access denied". I tried creating a new page, and I was able
to create the page successfully and access it later. The only nodes that
give me "access denied" are the ones that come from the old database.

This is really strange. I did not change the Drupal version, I did not
touch anything other than what I described in (1) and (2). What could
have changed that would make all pages inaccessible even for the admin?

I did have one problem when copying the database. For some reason I
couldn't copy all the tables at once. I exported the old DB tables with
phpMyAdmin and re-uploaded it into the new DB but only the first 80
tables were copied. I had to do two more uploads before everything got
copied. So I wonder if maybe there was an error during the copying process.

Any ideas?

This is just a test site and I'm happy to dump it all and start again.
But at some point I'll need to make a functional copy of my Drupal site
where I can perform the upgrade to Drupal 5.

Thanks for the help.