[support] Upgrading Modules

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:10:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to all who helped me move my Drupal 4.7 site to 5.9. Now that the
> base site is upgraded (this is a test site btw) I need to think about
> modules:
>
> 1) I had taxonomy_access in the old site. How do I upgrade a module? I
> have the new taxonomy_access (the one for 5.9) uploaded but I haven't
> activated it in case that is the wrong thing to do.

If you have uploaded the 5.x version of the module, go to
admin/build/modules, enable the module, and then run update.php

> 2) How do I get rid of old modules that I don't want to use anymore?
> Like the eCommerce module. Can I just drop all ec_* tables? Ditto for
> eJournal and OrganicGroups. These are all modules which I *thought*
> would help me but didn't and I don't want to keep them.

In Drupal 6 there is an "Uninstall" tab in admin/build/modules. After
you disable a module, go to that tab and you will see an option to
uninstall the module's tables (assuming that the module has
implemented that feature).

> Lastly, do you think it's alright if I stay with Drupal 5.9 until next
> year? The taxonomy_access module is not stable for Drupal 6, so I'm not
> sure if I should upgrade or not.

It is fine to stay with 5.9 (or better 5.10) until the modules you
need are available. To make sure that a future upgrade will be easy,
use only 5.x modules which also have a 6.x version under development,
or are expected to have one.