[support] User Uploads

Michael Prasuhn mike at mikeyp.net
Wed Aug 20 18:49:14 UTC 2008

All file upload/attachments that I'm aware of for drupal, will change
the file name when a duplicate is detected.

For instance the core upload module will add '_n' to the end of a file
name, where n is the next available integer. It is also smart enough
to do this before the file name's extension.

For example

http://drupal.org/files/issues/drupal.patch
http://drupal.org/files/issues/drupal_1.patch
......and so on......
http://drupal.org/files/issues/drupal_80.patch

-Mike

On Aug 20, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Drupal 5.9 what happens if two users upload files with the same
> name?
> I'm concerned that the second upload might overwrite the first. In my
> site there is a pretty good chance of this sort of thing happening. In
> my ideal world the file upload module would use sub-directories for
> each
> user, but it doesn't.
>
> If anyone can recommend a good module for file uploads, please let
> me know.
>
> Thanks.
> Daniel.

Michael Prasuhn