[support] Is Rebuilding Permissions Safe?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Thu Aug 21 09:35:19 UTC 2008

Hello,

I just upgraded to Drupal 5 and I have some minor problems with
taxonomy_access permissions. It occurred to me that I might try "rebuild
permissions" before I spent too much time chasing the problem, but when
I go to "rebuild permissions" I get a warning:

"Are you sure you want to rebuild node permissions on the site?
This will wipe all current node permissions and rebuild them based on
current settings. Rebuilding the permissions may take a while so please
be patient. This action cannot be undone."

Is it safe to run "rebuild permissions"? I have permissions so that
certain pages can only be edited by certain roles (taxonomy_access).
Will those permissions be wiped out? There are a lot of pages on my site
including hundreds of blog pages from users with certain default
permissions. Is it safe to run rebuild-permissions?

This is a test site, and in the worst case I can build it again, but I
really really don't want to lose several days' work for no good reason.

Thanks.
Daniel.