[support] simplenews - Bouncing emails, Background colour & other issues

geniekids ratadi2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:32:22 UTC 2008

I tried my second newsletter with painful results - it seem to have NOT at
all got delivered - atleast to most emails.
1. My database is 9000+ strong.
2. When i did a test - everything seemed fine (i did test on two email -
gmail and yahoo - to each was fine.
3. Cron throttle was set to 50 with the poormanscron set to trigger every 8
minutes (making it 350-400 emails per hour (less than 500 limit that my host
puts)

i "sent" the newsletter to the whole list at 17:45pm (approx)

the watchdog shows an entry at 18:35 showing at cron run -
 "Executed simplenews_cron via poormanscron, took 4 sec."

the watchdog shows a "newsletter message " notice at 17:54
 Newsletter Programs for Parents could not be sent to gbs at xxxxxx.com
(this looks like a bounced email

so far so good

i get 10 "bounced message like above at 17:54
and a whooping 48 bounced messages at 18:02 (which would have been the next
cron throttle after 17:54)
38 bounced messages at 18:10
only 4 bounced messages at 18:18
3 bounced messages at 18:26
6 bounced messages at 18:35
24 bounced messages at 18:43
4 bounced messages at 18:51
and surprising no further error messages

When I checked the newsletter status in night – around 21.00 hrs – it showed
“sent”
Which obviously means that it has not sent further emails than 18:51 –
because to send 9000+ - t should have taken more than 24 hours!!!

The watchdog shows cron running every 8 minutes – but shows the following
for newsletter
“27 Aug 2008 - 19:00 Executed simplenews_cron via poormanscron, took 0 sec.
which would mean that there were no further emails sent after 19:00 hrs

My Questions:
1.	Why did it stop sending emails after some 8 cron throttles?
2.	2. How will I know how many?
3.	Why did it show the “sent” status when in fact it did not send the same?
How do I know - for sure – in future - that delivery has been done – to all
emails – because a mere sent is not telling the right story!
4.	Which other errors should I look at? Php? I get the following error which
I was getting in my first newsletter sent also – but at that time emails
were delivered
QUOTE
mail() [ function.mail function.mail ]: Could not execute mail delivery
program '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i' in
/home/genie/public_html/modules/mimemail/mimemail.module on line 279.
UNQUOTE

Any guidance would be most welcome