[support] Module using drupal 6 form api

Praveen Venkatachari vpraveen84 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 23:41:45 UTC 2008

I'm trying to develop a module for a site using drupal 6 form api

the site layout has a content block and a right sidebar. The right
sidebar contains a search form (with multiple fields) and the content
block contains the search results.

Its evident what I'm trying to do. I have a search form on the
right-sidebar & once the user submits it, the filtered results show up
on the content block. The content is managed by a page-front.tpl.php.

I need some advise on how I should go about coding the submit handler.
1. Can I manipulate the content block from the module itself ?
2. How can I retrieve the form entry values from page-front.tpl.php ? Is
storing it in a database & retreving later the only option ? If so, how
would I refer to the entry since anyone can use the search form (needn't
be logged in)

thanks