[support] sending real time messages to users

Christopher M. Jones cjones at partialflow.com
Fri Jul 10 15:32:12 UTC 2009

Hi, all. I'm looking for a way to send users real time messages about
system and module events. I want to:

1. Set up rules to send messages based on, e.g., nodequeue updates, etc.
2. Allow users to select their receipt method
3. Allow users to select which types of message go where: e.g., messages
from other users to to one place while queue update messages go to another
4. Provide a real-time notifications block where messages are posted
immediately, without a page reload.

The points I'm stuck on are the multiple methods depending on message
type, or message source. I don't see that the notifications / messaging
modules allow multiple send methods at once. Nor do they allow me to
distinguish among different types of message to configure per type sending.

I'm thinking that what I want for real-time notifications is some sort
of xmpp setup, but I'm not finding the XMPP Framework to have exactly
what I need, nor do I really understand the implementation. Also, I'm
running in shared hosting, so I don't think I'm able to set up my own
xmpp server.

So what I'm asking is this:

1. What's the best way to send system messages to users real-time?
2. Where can I find a nice summary of messaging technology in Drupal, to
help put all the modules in context?
3. Is there a module I should consider, beyond the usual suspects?